BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

B-P Golden Oldies: "Is this the list with all the ivy haters?"" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2006 07:16:02 -0500
>>Doesn't ASTm
>> bitch about non-reproducible  results?

I am relatively new to the ASTM process, but it is my understanding that a
number of standard test methods have been dropped over the years due to poor
reproducibility. Still, there are others, like the Tape Adhesion Test, which
although highly variable, imprecise and subjective, are still considered so
much more useful than the alternative of nothing at all that they remain on
the books with long rationale statements discussing their limitations.

A popular silicate coating also
>> tested by DL outide of the  SWR program came in at 18 perms, and that
>> manufacturer claims something like  98 or 99% breathability.

So 18
>> perms is like an open window?
Nope. Next big issue is that different methods of testing vapor permeability
may yield results that have no way of being correlated. I think the %
breathability numbers are extremely misleading, though easier to conceptualize
than the perm values.

Mike E.