From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:42:19 -0600
Steve writes:
>As expected, President George W. Bush yesterday signed
>budget-reconciliation legislation that includes a firm date for TV
>broadcasters to clear 700 MHz spectrum and $1.2 billion in funding
>earmarked for public-safety communications.

	I am a little confused.  I thought that that legislation also
covered VHF channels 2-13.  I think they are supposed to also go dark
on that date.

	One interesting thing is that there are now digital TV
broadcasts on some of the VHF Channels.  In Oklahoma city, the ABC
affiliate is presently analog on Channel 5 and digital on Channel 7.
The ABC station in Tulsa is analog on Channel 8 and digital on Channel
10.  All the rest have opened up in UHF.

	For those with general coverage VHF and UHF receivers, the
digital TV signals sound like white noise with a steady carrier 310
KHZ above the lower band edge of the channel.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer