From:
Isabella Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Isabella Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 19:07:19 -0700

Thanks to all of you who responded!

It was very helpful to learn what options are available as I am
originally from Europe and I did not have the dubious honor to know many
of these apparently common brands/remedies.

My 10 year old son will be spending a week in Catalina Island with his
school and he gets extremely seasick on boats/ships.  I am very thankful
to all of you for the information and now that I know about the GF
status, I will call his pediatrician to help determine what's best for
him.

Best Regards,

Isabella in California

My celiac mom used to get extremely seasick until she discovered these
special bracelets that you wear on both wrists. They apply pressure to
your acupuncture points. She swears by them. Besides the fact that they
work for her, the best part is that it doesn't go through her
supersensitive gut.

I got the patches that are placed behind the ears from my doctor when I
went on a week long sailing trip in the BVI's, but didn't have to use
them.  Since these are topical, I didn't have to worry about them being
gluten free.  There is an over the counter ginger pill that is
homeopathic and used for motion sickness and pregnant women.  It says
gluten free on the package.  I had once found it in my local CVS a while
ago.  The best thing that I have found for seasickness is the sea bands.
They are elastic bands with a plastic knob that you place on your
wrists.  These have worked for everyone I've been on a boat with who got
seasick.  You can find them at your local drug store.  They work
miricles!

Dramamine is GF!! I checked last year with the company

There is a product out there called Seabands that are basically a rubber
band that pushed a marble into your wrist.  Somehow, that pressure on
the wrist is enough to stop some low levels of motion sickness in
people.  I had a friend use one while pregnant as well for morning
sickness and used the same concept myself to fend off quesy feelings at
times.  I have never actually used this on a boat, so I don't know how
long the effects would last, but it would be a nonmedicated way to try
to stop motion sickness.

Dramamine is GF.

I have motion sickness really bad!

I use a scopalamine patch and it works great.  It is a prescription
medication delivered through the skin.  You were the patch behind your
ear.

I recently went on a cruise and couldn't take any of the motion sickness
meds because they weren't gluten free.  (I brought a medication
print-out from Celiac.com to show the doctor) What ended up happening
was I got a shot of Phenergan to help calm the nausea...That was fine
and it was smooth sailing afterwards...

You might find some relief with something as simple as Ginger Ale or
candied ginger.
Good luck!

Dramamine original formula tablets are on the Clan Thompson Smartlist of
GF drugs, but it's always good to call the manufacturer to make sure.

I would suggest trying ginger.  It is very effective for nausea, no
nasty side effects like drowsiness and dry mouth, and of course the
fresh roots are naturally gluten free!  The fresh root can be made into
tea or chewed as needed.  New Chapter makes several excellent (and GF)
ginger capsules, extracts and tonics.  I have also used Ginger People's
Original Ginger Chews in the past, but I am not positive of their gluten
free status. (There is no obvious gluten in them).

Ginger has been used safely for thousands of years- you can't say that
about Dramamine!  And furthermore, a studies have found that it is just
as effective as the OTC's for motion sickness.

Check to see if the Scopalomine (sp?) patch is GF. You would have to get
prescription from your doc. It is not over-the-counter.

I took Dramamine and did just fine.  I didn't see any gluten on the
label, had tried the little "pressure point" wrist bands and was sick as
a DOG in Costa Rica on the most beautiful ocean I've ever seen.  I felt
like one of the caught fish lying there on the deck a mess.  The next
time we were going out to fish I took 1 Dramamine the night before and
another 1/2 in the morning and did wonderfully (and ate a very light
breakfast of fruit).  Just looking at the docs was enough to get me
feeling woozy prior to that...rotten affliction!

Try taking ginger capsules.  Have serious problems with motion and these
work - not only for me but others as well.

Dramamine has 2 products, one for nausea and one for dizziness or
vertigo,
and there is a cheaper version of that one called Bonine.  I have taken
all
three without any problems.  There is nothing on their ingredient lists
be alarmed about.
Antivert is a prescription drug that works on the dizziness that often
leads
to nausea, and I also use that product.

This is not a medication but AAA sells bands for motion sickness, they
worked for our family on our last car trip.

Thanks again! Isabella