From:
Russ Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:39:33 -0500
Thanks for the excellent analysis.  The machine locked up again, now in
a stock configuration with an LCD display. It hung with the floppy read
light steady on but not reading the floppy.
 I had flashed the BIOS earlier, but thought I'd do it again. Wrong! It
locked up during the flash process so now it won't do anything.  HDD
read light comes on for awhile, but won't read the floppy or CD.Looks to
me like it really is toast. But still don't know where the "locked"
problem comes from.
In answer to your suggestions:
Didn't get to turn off IR in BIOS because of above.  Don't think there's
an IR receiver on it anyway. The location where it first started failing
is only a few feet from the workbench. Yes there is a wireless router
nearby.
Didn't have the wireless mouse connected during this last activity.
Did have an LCD monitor connected when it last failed.
Did replace the battery before flashing (and trashing) the BIOS.