NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Carla F." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 2005 21:58:13 -0700
Hi.  I'm new to the list and, sorry, don't know the answer to your question.  I didn't even know cough medicine HAD lactose!  New to lactose intolerance, too.  :(

However, I do have some suggestions about coughs - especially if they're mostly chest congestion type coughs.  First, a netti pot is a most necessary evil - if you google that, you'll find it's a little tea pot type thing you put warm water in and use to drain sinuses.  Nasty, but instant & practical relief from congestion.  It's the drainage into the chest that causes the sore throats & coughing often.  I usually use distilled water because ours is so heavily cholrinated it's like snorting pool water.

Next, I came across the suggestion to gargle with warm water & apple cider vinegar.  I have found that if I use it as strong as I can get it without burning my mouth, and warm - not luke warm but as warm as I can go without it being uncomfortable - it really helps loosen chest congestion.  Kind of like gargling with warm salad dressing, but it works.

I've found that if I start hitting the congestion & cough & sore throat this way at the start, it usually prevents it from progressing further.

Hope this helps.  Speaking of which.... cough!  cough!  Darn allergies!  :(  If it's really bad, I take something to suppress the spasmodic coughing & stuff, but these things seem to attack the roots of the problems.  No worries about interaction with meds, intolerance for ingredients, etc.... unless you were allergic to vinegar I guess.

The book I read about the vinegar in was Mildred Carter's "Body Reflexology".  She suggested that vinegar can even possibly kill the bacteria that causes strep throat.  Although you can't take chances with strep and should certainly go to the doctor....  Still, in the last few years, since I started with these, I haven't gotten strep once.  I used to get a horrible sore throat, flu, and sometimes strep, at least once a year.  When one starts, I start hitting myself with the netti pot & vinegar & water... seems to stop it from getting worse.

Carla

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:44:32 EDT
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: cough medicine

There used to be a cough syrup/expectorant that was specifically labeled
"Lactose free".