ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:04:39 -0600
Kathy,

Years ago, in our roofing business we hired a man probably in his early
30's. A nice clean cut younger man, who just happened to have a
congregation. Of course it was quite challenging for him in the
construction field as not only was it hard work, but I think there is a
major run offf  between sailors and construction guys in the International
Cuss Off Competition and etc. if you get my meaning. The worse we were, the
better we were, in the eyes of those who took part in such backwards
mentality. Anyway,  another younger man who I'll call the captain, was
probably the captain of the cuss off team as well as the bar brawling team,
local motorcycle gang team and etc., who also worked with us, really
clashed with this young pastor. However one day the captain showed up in
the pastor's congregation one day. Now I  won't say he was responsible for
bringing the captain to salvation, but even in their daily clashing, there
was enough affect to bring the captain to church that Sunday, and who
really knows what that meant to the captin that day. So perhaps Greg's
congregation responsibilities do not just lie in the four walls of the
church. Paul still earned his keep for the most part I believe. I think
there is a great benefit of a pastor being intimate  with the daily
struggles and successes in the community. I'm not saying that the
congregation is not to supply sustanance for the shepherd, but I'm not
sure  pastor's are meant to be removed from the rubbing against the sheep
and carry the scent of the sheep as well the flock the scent of the
shepherd.   I know some tend to think you aren't a real pastor of a real
church if you don't have a full salary to sustain your needs, but  I think
those who are not in touch with the common man's way of living and etc. and
protected from housing and household maintenances and etc. lose the ability
to have compassion, and concerted efforts are needed to keep that fire
alive. Faith to me would be acting with or without agreeing with what God
is directing, guts to me is the same thing minus God. But I do know what
you are saying. God will reveal what to do when the time is ripe.

Brad

At 07:49 AM 11/26/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Brad,
>Warning, Warning!!  Incoming chunks of pumpkin pie, straight at
>ya!  Duck now and you lose!
>
>          I'm with you on the car thing.  I'd rather get something
>else too.  The question is, will the bank let us?  We had been trying
>to crunch numbers so that, maybe Greg could stop working for the post
>office within a year.  This job, while it is nice, and part time, can
>still end up robbing the ministry of valuable time.  We have started
>saying, "you know, we weren't called to Maine to work for the post
>office, but to do ministry."  Well, at this point, we can't see
>quitting.  Financially, we couldn't do it, but buying a different
>car, or even getting the old one fixed, pushes back the ending date
>at the post office even more.,  God knows what He is doing, of that
>I'm sure.  I just pray that we are quiet enough to listen and brave
>enough to follow, whatever.  Maybe you guys should pray that we will have
>guts.
>Kathy
>

>At 01:54 PM 11/25/2005, you wrote:
> >Kathy,
> >
> >Cool story. See? Romans 8:28 in live performance here. For what it is
> >worth, I'm thinking if it were me with the van issue? I'd also be thinking
> >if I'm going to continue to put money in a car? I'd rather put it in a
> >payment for a reliable one than continually repairing an older one. I'm all
> >for keeping the old ones running, I have one myself, but when the scale
> >begins to tip towards a money pit, it is time to move on. Lordy Kate! I
> >thought you were going to say you were going to adopt a troubled child or
> >something. Kate? Yikes probably have to duck the incoming chunks of pumpkin
> >pie. Oh well I'll just open my mouth, my big mouth even more, no sense
> >letting that good pie go to waste, w a s t e. But I know it will show up on
> >my waist, w a i s t.
> >
> >Brad
> >

> >Brad
> >

> >At 01:10 PM 11/25/2005 -0500, you wrote:
> > >Hi Guys,
> > >         You know that old saying, "every cloud has a silver
> > lining?"   Well,
> > >I thought that you might like to hear the story of the silver lining
> > >of our car problems.  It's kind of cool.
> > >         Our church has begun attempting to connect with kids who have
> grown
> > >up in the foster care system, but have now turned 18 and are being
> > >turned out, so to speak.  I didn't know very much about this problem
> > >before this summer.  One of our deacons saw a news story about these
> > >kids right before a deaconate meeting and he came in and told
> > >everybody about what he had seen and then asked, "Can't we do
> > >something?"  So, we've been learning what the need is and what we can
> > >do in response to his question.
> > >         You just don't think about this kind of stuff.  Some
> > foster families
> > >agree to take care of these kids until they graduate without
> [...]

Brad

   Looking for an item or want to sell an item? Place your FREE classified
at: HTTP://WWW.RIVERCITIESCONNECTION.COM
  Northwestern Wisconsin and Greater Twin Cities classified connection!