From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:10:58 -0700
The motherboard could see that the CPU fan is not spinning and therefor,
not try to POST. Can you try a known good CPU fan that will work with
the heat sink?

Also, although you have probably done it, check to make sure all chips
including the BIOS are firmly seated on the motherboard. And, possibly
something that was loose in the case (like an errant screw) is now under
the motherboard and creating a short.

Just a few thoughts. Hope this helps.

Tom Mayer

Hugh Vandervoort wrote:
> Gateway 1500 with P4, 1.5 GHz, Windows XP.
> I replaced the power supply on this 4-5 year old computer about a year
> ago.
> My friend brought it to me because of intermittent freezing. I kept it
> overnight, but couldn't get it to freeze. There were no significant
> entries in Event viewer. I reinstalled the adapter and ethernet card.
>  A couple of days later, he brought it back-in the meantime, it had
> fallen over hard in his car. The cpu fan is no longer turning, but the
> power supply fan is. (I thought that was impossible). There's a green
> light on the board. The power supply checks as good.
> Now, I get no post. I removed and replaced the memory, video card
> (Used a known good one), and all pci cards.
> I get nada-no beeps, nothing.
> I assume the motherboard is dead, but I was wondering if there's a
> definitive test. I suppose it could be the chip, due to the cpu fan
> not turning.
> Thanks.
>
>         PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download
>                     visit our download web page at:
>                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>