From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:14:15 -0500
Daniel, what is your budget for this computer?  You can spend from $500 to
$5,000 on a new build.

Surfing the  net requires a fast internet connection, but the computer
doesn't have to be too fast.

Photoshop can eat up cpu power, memory, and disk space.  If you use it very
much, you want high-end.  If you are willing to accept slow performance, you
can rachet down considerably.

Digital camera will "probably" need a usb interface, which all new
motherboards should have.  If you want to store a lot of pictures, you will
want a larger disk drive.  Also a dvd writer for backing up your photos.

Scanners are not too expensive - the more detail, the more expensive.  You
might like an all-in-one printer/scanner/fax.  Depends on how much scanning
you will do.

Conversion to MP3 takes cpu time, but the converters are getting fast.  Each
(music) file will take space - say, from five to fifteen megabytes, unless
the piece is very long.  Again, you will want to be able to back your stuff
up.

I suggest that you purchase your motherboard, cpu, and memory from the same
vendor.  In case something goes wrong, they cannot finger-point.

Antec makes good power supplies and cases; look for sharp edges on the
inside of cheap cases.  PC Power and Cooling is the "Cadillac" of power
supplies.

It is hard to give more detailed advice without knowing your budget.

Dean Kukral