From:
Paul Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 18:11:39 -0400
Thomas' response is right on target, I believe.  If it was me, I would go
for it.  It's not for the faint-at-heart, but you can probably back out if
you feel like you're getting too deep.

I would guess that the problem would not require replacing the connector,
but rather that part of the connector may be bent out of place.  If you
find that the connector does need replacing, I would suggest only doing so
if you have experience soldering electronic components.  Mouser Electronics
has connectors: http://tinyurl.com/nyrvc

HTH

Paul Jones

At 10:11 AM 6/6/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a Dell Latitude CSx laptop, approx 6 years old (no longer under
>any warranty).  When I plug into the USB port, the port moves and the
>connection is gone.  If I prop something  under the cable going into the
>port, it is okay, but that is not how I want to work things.  My
>question is this: Is it possible for me to open the laptop and repair
>the loose USB port, what should I look for and do or should I take it
>somewhere to have it repaired.  I have worked on desktop towers, so the
>inside workings don't scare me, just not sure if I should attempt this
>on my own.
>I am running Windows 98, the USB (listed under device manager) is Intel
>83271AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller.
>Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
>Susan Llewellyn

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml