From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 11:11:52 -0400
Try going into task manager and shutting down all processes not needed.
Usually this happens when something is running in the background causing
writes to the hard drive that interferes with the scandisk.  By the way,
a lot of the older memory was also backwards compatible so it would work
fine as either pc133 or pc100.  Some of the packages today will state
pc133 only, or pc3200 only. I have seen some Kingston ram that works as
pc2100, pc2700 or pc3200.   Don't know what too much memory would do.
Search the web for PC Wizard, this will examine your system and give all
kinds of specs.  On my winxp system, it tells me the manufacturer,
serial #, and available compatible 'speeds' of my memory chips as well
as other system info.  Some of the info shows up only in a printout of
the mainboard selection.  On an older pc, it may give less info however.

Edgar Moran wrote:

>I've been up grading an old Gateway G6-350 for a friend, I changed out the PC-133 memory for PC-100,which is correct for the motherboard in the machine. I also found that the 384 gigs of memory was too much for this motherboard, there was 1 PC 133 256 gig chip and 1 PC 100 128 gig chip. My problem now is the d-frag will not finish, it goes to only 4% and starts over again, after several hours of this I decided to ask the readers of PC BUILD for help. One other thing the scandisk ran just fine with no errors on the hard drive(yes I did run scandisk before I tried to d-frag).       Ed Moran
>
>         PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download
>                     visit our download web page at:
>                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>