From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:36:54 +0000
I don't personally think there's all that much difference between vegetable-oils, as they are all affected by heat to some extent, one way or another. But I understand that some people feel the need to compromise. It's just that opting for olive-oil avocado-oil is more environmentally-friendly than coconut-oil or palm-oil. Ideally, one should only boil, if one cooks at all, but , admittedly, the taste of boiled meat doesn't quite compare to fried foods.

Geoff> > Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:19:09 -0600> From: Jamie Dolan <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: Re: Re Coconut Oil and Palm-oil> > > Anyway, if you care at all about the environment, avoid these two foods, and go in for more healthy foods like suet, marrow. olive-oil etc. which are, at the very least, comparably environmentally-friendly(and Palaeo).> >> >> > Geoff> > Geoff;> > For the people that do some cooking, what do you reccomend be used if> someone does not want to add more animal fat to a particular dish? I> belive that olive oil suffers from damage when exposed to heat that> can cause free radical damage (I hope I said that correctly).> > For example, If I am making say a chicken and vegetable dish, I might> want to add some more fat to the frying pan in a fairly flavor neutral> form. Lard just has too strong of a flavor to add to something like> chicken stirfry in my personal opinion.> > Don't get me wrong, I do think that in most cases that animal fats are> likely the very best source of fat, espically from pastured animals.> > But in cases when you don't want to use animal fats due to taste; do> you think that olive oil is approiate if it is going to be heated?> > I was looking at the site for a place that said there coconut oil was> from small family farms, from which one would presume the supply of> oil is sustainable.> > I applogize for my expended question. However, I suspect that a> number of people here do still fry some foods and may run into a> situation like the one I described above where they are looking to add> a bit of oil to a dish.> > I do understand that coconut oil is not strictly paleo. It is my> understanding that if you simply physically mash / smash up a coconut> that the resulting "juice" will naturally seperate leaving you with> the coconut oil ready to be used without any processing. But I may> have been misinformed and this may be a overly simplistic view of the> process.> > Thank for your help.> > Jamie
http://www.searchgamesbox.com