From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:06:59 -0500
Philip wrote:

>I also wonder if body fat has something to do with it. I am very lean, as is
>Ray Audette (though neither one of us restricts our calories). I have low
>blood sugar and Ray got his under control. I'm also guessing that the
>calorie-restriction people with low FBG levels that Todd mentioned are quite
>lean. Maybe Paleo dieters who have higher glucose scores tend to have more
>body fat? Just speculating about possible answers to this puzzling quandary.
>The study that Oliva posted a link to seems to back this low body fat
>hypothesis: "Amelioration of diet-induced diabetes mellitus by removal of
>visceral fat,"
>http://joe.endocrinology-journals.org/cgi/content/abstract/191/3/699.

Frankly, I would expect body fat, and especially abdomenal fat, to play
some role.  Obesity throws many things out of whack.  This wouldn't,
however, apply to Owsley "Bear" Stanley, who is by his own account very
lean.  I think Ray Audette has to be considered an outlier.  He is a
diabetic whose condition is sufficiently advanced that he was considered
a candidate for insulin therapy.  A person who produces little insulin
*cannot* gain weight, and in fact I think Ray would be considered
underweight on just about any scale.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that an obese person has problems
handling SFAs that a non-obese person doesn't have.

Todd Moody