From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:00:46 -0600
Michael Raiti wrote:

> Lynnet,
>        Can you tell me what vegetables and fruits seem to have a big
> effect on your fibromyalgia?  I am aware of spinach, beets and Swiss
> chard having high oxalate.  I suspect that oxalate is giving me some
> problems because of some symptoms that have reoccurred in the past 10
> years or so to different degrees.  The lists that I find of high vs.
> low oxalate foods are not always consistent.  From your experience,
> what affects your fibromyalgia?

This is pretty much off topic here, so I'll be brief.  It's hard to diagnose
the impact of high oxalates on fibromyalgia, because there's a long lag time
between eating high oxalates and noticing the problem, and another long
time before you see results from low oxalate eating. Not like gluten,
where I get feedback within hours of ingestion.

Here is a dandy up-to-date chart of oxalates for those that are interested.

http://www.ohf.org/docs/0xalate2004.pdf

There is a lot of inconsistency in published charts.  This one looked good
and I went with it.

My story: Feb 2 I started a "spring diet" eating lamb, beef, and raw
greens only.
I did this for a week, then added pumpkin seeds and nuts in quantity,
finally dark chocolate, and verged from there into popcorn and all the
usual suspects.  By the end of February my pain level was extremely
high and stayed that way for weeks.  Based on statements in this group,
I decided to go low oxalate Apr 1 and did so. Within a week all the
food cravings were gone.  The muscle pains are less now, but not gone.

I'd be glad to communicate with people off-list who are interested in
this subject.

    Lynnet