From:
Gery Gaubert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 21:34:50 -0500

I started learning morse code a while back.  It is very slow and
painfull.  I am sure it will be worth it after I get it.  I can identify
the letters in my mind but when they are put together and random that is
what is beating me.  I spend about 20 minutes at a time practicing.  I
can kind of see where some of the old timers are coming from now.  If
you want the general class ticket you have to learn it and why make it
easier for the new comers.  On the other hand, I think this is what
keeps a lot of the trash off the ham bands.  Anyone can get 70 percent
on a written test where you have 4 choices to pick from but code is a
different story.  I would be ok without knowing code but I can see where
the amateur radio might  (might) suffer if the code requirement is
dropped.
Gery Gaubert
St. Charles Sheriff's Office Helpdesk Coordinator