From:
Clarence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:35:41 -0500
Hi Jeff and the group,
There are two possibilities.  The first one is what Lou said.  The server is
configured to terminate any connection that is inactive for a period of
time.  We still do this at work on one server.  The other one is a bit more
difficult to explain.  But, it goes something like this.  Some firewalls are
configured to terminate connections that are made thru them when the
conection has been inactive for a period of time.  The pix firewall is one
such animal.  The connection isn't really terminated, but is dropped from
the internal tables of the firewall.  It is possible that this to free up
memory space in the firewall.  I know that this is a poor explaination.  But
I also know that this happens to me at work a bit if I telenet into a system
that is behind such a firewall.  The best way to avoid this is to hit a key
every 10 minutes or so.  If the connection is dropped, you can hit the
ctrl/] key combination to break the connection and log in again.

73s,
Clarence