From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:23:22 -0400
On Sep 19, 2005, at 1:52 PM, Gary Tillinghast wrote:

> satellite radio is limited and contains very little in ethics or
> morality.

Huh?! Limited? Well, I reckon one can say that really, anything is
"limited"; satellite radio is probably as limited as anything else,
but its limits are pretty broad. Wide eclectic mix of music channels,
a couple religious channels on eitheer service, Sirius even has a
kids' music channel. I also like Sirius' talk programming a lot--lots
of stuff that is eitheer exclusive to Sirius or stuff that's in
smaller markets that isn't available everywhere across the AM dial
anyway. But as for the morality, I really wasn't aware that it was
any media outlet's obligation to dictate my morality for me or my
family. I sort of thought that that was my job, and that it was up to
me to limit what goes into and out of my home? If you want to make
that argument, the Internet is pretty low on morality, too. How much
porn spam have you gotten this week, for instance? I'd say that in
general, satellite radio content is much more interesting than the
big media commercial stations (emphasis on commercial), interrupted
occasionally by music, most of which is insipid at best.

> I realize that you can find a wide selection and various
> stations, but the cost is prohibited.

I suppose that it depends on what you consider prohibitive. For
instance, if $12.95 (the cost of a large pizza or less) is
prohibitive, I hope you don't smoke or drink alcohol. Of course, what
one person considers prohibitive another may consider reasonable. For
instance, I don't find that cable TV is cost effective for me for the
benefit it offers at this point...which is to say,k I think most TV
is crap, and I can't really justify paying over $40, closer to $50, a
month for the five or six channels I might actually watch. But $12.95
(less, since I prepaid) a month is certainly worth the several
channels I like on Sirius.

Buddy, KB5ELV