From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 17:44:31 -0500

Went out for lunch today in Mt. Holly, NJ. Started out bad. Ended up good.

Robin's Nest is a darling cafe that I will never frequent again until my celiac is cured! I've had tried three times to have lunch there, early, before the crowd. On the first try, several months ago, it took much ado and talking to the owner or head chef to get plain grilled chicken on a salad and it came out with a hunk of bread on top.

On my second visit, I relayed this to them and ended up being given a plain dish of spinach...raw...for a salad, and they charged me full fare as if I had the croutons, chicken, etc.

Today, the waitress beyond ignorant....I said I can't have wheat...no flour, no bread, no sauces, etc. and asked if I could have the fish or steak plain. (The hostess already said I could and told me...just tell your waitress. Ha.) Instead, she recommended a sandwich. Duh. No. Then a wrap!, Duh! No! and then insisted I could get the quiche and just not eat the shell. Three strikes and you're out. As we walked out the front door, she yelled after us, what about the meatloaf, like I'm going to trust her....It was getting to be a Seinfeld skit!

We then walked up the main street to the High Street Bar and Grill and when I started telling Matthew, the waiter about wheat, he said oh, you can't have gluten.....He then proceeded to be sure the chef knew about the restrictions. (This is the second time in a week a waiter has said gluten to me!)
We did discover that their root vegetable chips are homemade and therefore not gf, because they are fried in the same oil as their battered calamari. But I could have mixed greens and a plain sirloin burger with sauteed onions and mushrooms. (Next time, I'm going to ask if the ostrich burger is gluten-free!) There seemed to be salads on the menu that would have worked.
The only drawback is you have to walk through the bar (smoking) to get to the upstairs non-smoking section, but I'd definitely go back again for lunch and avoid smokey happy hour.
FYI, the restaurant was recommended by a local girl walking up high street. My husband's soup and salmon...no gf for him....were excellent.

Lin