From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 06:00:36 -0400
Somewhere there is a short in the system that causes the fuse to blow. That is hard to diagnose like this, but a word to the wise: NEVER replace a 5 amp fuse with a 16 amp fuse! You are running the risk of fire and injury when you do that.  In order to keep this very old and now dangerous computer you need to have a professional techie fix the cause of the short before something really bad happens.  Unfortunately the cost of the techie is going to be almost what a new bottom end unit would cost.  Whatever you do, immediately take that 16 amp fuse out of there and put back the 5 amp type.  Better yet, unplug it and stop using it until the short is fixed or you have a replacement.

Dee Hurst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My daughters fairly old pc keeps blowing the fuse in the plug (I'm in the
>UK). It had a new power supply, heatsink and fan about 6 months and was fine
>but then a couple of weeks ago this started. Sometimes it will stay on for
>just a few minutes, sometimes an hour or more. (Fuse is currently 16amp -
>originally it was 5).
>Spec is AMD Athlon 1200 processor, 120mb RAM, 20G HDD, running XP. I know
>it's pretty old and it's short on RAM and the processor is slow but it was
>fine for what she used it for (typing letters, browsing eBay, internet
>banking, email etc). No programs or hardware have been recently added

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>