From:
Patrick Macaspac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 09:04:47 -0700
Thanks for all the help, I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I have replaced the CMOS battery with a new one, reseated all hardware components of my system and made sure my power supply is good. But I found no progress when I turmed on the computer. I still have the same message BIOS Checksum Error. I think my BIOS chip is damaged and I need to buy a new one. :) Thanks for all the help. One more question, will my P4 processor that I have on the mainbord with an SDRAM PC 133 work on a brand new mainbord that support a RAM frequency of 266 or 333?

Thanks again,

Patrick

Sven <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Patrick,

This error could be due to several things including a hardware failure,
incompatible hardware, or a BIOS failure. Try removing or disconnecting all
hardware not related to the basic operation of the computer such as modems,
sound cards, hard drives, CD-ROM, printers, etc. Don't rule out the power
supply, especially if it's low powered and additional hardware has been
added. Try reseating all components and connections and insure all cooling
fans are operational.

Also check or replace the CMOS battery. Replacing the battery will reset the
BIOS to default or you can reset it manually via the jumper. Consult the
computer or board manual for instructions on your model. The jumper is
usually located close to the CMOS battery. Disconnect the power supply
connector at the board. Usually there are three pins with the jumper on two
of them (short) and a visible (open) pin. Place the jumper on the open pin
and the one next to it for about five seconds, then move it back to it's
original default position. Reconnect the power connector.

Contacting technical support of your system or motherboard manufacturer may
provide additional information. If the problem is a BIOS failure, the chip
would have to be sent to the manufacturer for reprogramming or replacement.
Here is a site with more information that may be helpful:

Troubleshooting the Motherboard - General Failures:
http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/mbsys/genFailure-c.html

Sven Swanson, Sr.