From:
Tony Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 21:19:54 -0700
The reason the ethernet light goes out is that the computer is turning
itself off.  That is the correct operation of the light on the router.
This sounds to me alot more like you have a heat problem.  With the case
open, look at all the fans, but particulary the fan on the CPU and make
sure they are spinning when  you first start the computer up.  If any of
them are not, you should replace that fan.
You will probably also see a fan on the video card - make sure that is
spinning too.

Tony Mayer

Amy Ledford wrote:
> Hey guys and gals!
>
> I am working on an HP pavilion A600Y, Windows XP, 80Gb
> Hard drive, 2.5GHz processor. The owner says that it
> started yesterday with a blank screen. I was able to
> duplicate this, so I will tell it from first person
> point of view. I push the power button on the tower,
> then the power on the monitor, to start it up. All
> applicable lights come on, as well as the ethernet
> light on the router. Before the icons can load on the
> screen, I hear an electrical clicking sound from the
> monitor, and it is blank. At the same time, there is
> no ethernet light.
>
> In my troubleshooting, I have first connected that
> monitor to my laptop, it works perfectly. Tried a
> different monitor connected to the same PC, and it,
> too does not respond. Both monitors show a light
> indicating a Power Save Mode. There are no beeps from
> the PC.
>
> I contacted HP, they covered all of the above items,
> determined that the PC is out of warranty, by 2
> months, and would not assist me anymore, and advised
> me to contact a local PC tech for further
> troubleshooting.
>
> He suggested that it could be a loose connection on
> the motherboard, or a faulty video card, but did not
> address the ethernet issue. The video "card" is
> onboard type, as well as the ethernet.
>
> I want the list's advice before spending money that I
> may not need to first. Would it do any good to
> purchase a new video card and ethernet card? And if
> so, how close to the original should it be? The
> original was 256MB card. The owner is not a gamer;
> just email and solitaire mostly. I have an ethernet
> card already, but I wonder what a new, or even good
> used, video card would run? I am not afraid to do
> eBay! (LOL)
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Amy Ledford

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,