RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christian Schlepphorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 18:08:43 +0100 (MET)
Hi listeners on the list,

this is something I wrote as a private e-mail to Kirt, but he
convinced me to post it to the list. Not that he needed help to
give his statements more weight ;-)

A friend of mine is raw-foodist for six years or so, his wife,
too. They've got a son in July 1994 and breastfed, adding some fruits
if he wanted it. When about 9 months old, the kid started to eat only
little, weep a lot, lose weight and did not recover. Finally it became
life-threatening, the went into the hospital with a totally dehydrated
children where they claimed it was B-12 deficiency. This was not so
clear from the blood tests (B-12 > 100 p, whereas the mother had
20(!)). He had haemolysis but not macrocytic anemia (sp?). B-12 shots
did not clear up the situation quickly. Anyway,
finally he recovered, eating cooked food again (when he refused
anything else, he still ate cooked veggies!) and is not slowly
regaining the lost development. After this experience, the whole
family was quite confused about their nutrition and finally got more
instincto-oriented. The mother, being B-12 deficient, started to eat
raw egg yolks and later they obtained raw horse meat from Burger's
ORKOS mail-order. They kid was really KEEN on the meat! They offered
some of the meat to me, but I got a real cramp in my throat and was
not able to try it (once we bought a seafish filet from a supermarket and
tried that - had no problem with that but avocados tasted much
better).
On another occasion, they ate some raw spinach and a little snail creeped
out of the bag, straight to the kid, putting out its horns. The two
year old, beaming all over his face, grabbed the snail and ate it,
crunch, crunch, with its house! No, he didn't play with the snail and
ate the spinach...

Just one more point to add: That I wasn't able to eat the meat offered
was more due to the fact it was RAW than that it was meat. I ate meat
before becoming a raw-foodist and I think eating it again should not be
such a big leap - if it is prepared in the way I was used to: fried
chicken breast or steak... (Actually I do not intend to eat cooked
meat!) Maybe it is more a psychological factor (conditioning).

Best regards

Christian