Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:00:02 -0700
I agree with Rick that an uninstall and reinstall of the modem drives is
probably appropriate here. However, you can force a lower speed connection
by setting the maximum serial port speed. This is the communications speed
between the computer and modem. I am assuming that the modem is on a serial
port and not USB. Let us know if I am wrong in this assumption. You may also
look at the handshaking settings for the modem interface, and change them to
see if it makes any difference.

To address you original question, there should be an AT command for your
modem that sets the speed of connection. I don't know what that setting is
for the model you have. Here is a link that may help:
http://www.modemhelp.org/sets.html

Here is another link:
http://fan.nb.ca/cfn/info/help/com-prog/modemcommandslist.html
For Hayes, the command for setting max connect speed is &Nn where n is 0 to
8. However, this command is for an older modem. Just an example for you to
start with.

Peter