Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 10:10:04 -0800
I am wondering how to determine biologically appropriate foods for a given area. I grew up in USSR. I found this info on Russian diets and this is congruent with the foods that I grew up on.

  However, dairy, carbs, breads, vegetable oil(from sardines) are a large part of this diet.  How would I adjust this to be more paleo? Is it as simple are removing the carbs and bad oils? Thanks.

  Russian cuisine derives its rich and varied character from the vast and multicultural expanse of Russia. Its foundations were laid by the peasant food of the rural population in an often harsh climate, with a combination of plentiful fish, poultry, game, mushrooms, berries, and honey. Crops of rye, wheat, barley, and millet provided the ingredients for a plethora of breads, pancakes, cereals, kvass, beer, and vodka. Flavorful soups and stews centered on seasonal or storable produce, fish, and meats. These wholly native foods, along with the spices and techniques used for grilling meat and making sour clotted milk brought by the Mongols and Tatars of the thirteenth century, remained the staples for the vast majority of Russians well into the 20th century. Lying on the northern reaches of the ancient Silk Road, as well as Russia's close proximity to the Caucasus, Persia, and the Ottoman Empire has provided an inescapable Eastern character to its cooking methods.

Philip <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Robert Kesterson wrote:
> As for BMI, right now I'm at 24 (though I
> don't put
> much stock in BMI, personally. My bodyfat level is about 10%).

Some people get the mistaken impression that the Paleo diet is only about
avoiding foods that cause adverse reactions. I know a modified Paleo dieter
who thinks that way. I used your story as an example of what the Paleo diet
is really about--eating biologically appropriate foods regardless of whether
one reacts adversely to the inappropriate foods or not. He was surprised
when I said that you were in great shape on the SAD and that I didn't think
you noticed any improvements after changing to a Paleo diet, so I want to
confirm that you have not noticed any improvements since going on a Paleo
diet, correct?

http://mail.yahoo.com