From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:52:59 -0700
this is mostly true when dealing with VHF/UHF radios yes, where you program
it, memorize either the channel line up or how many clicks it is to change
frequency in steps...however, when you are using an HF radio with a VFO and
need to record what frequency contacts are made on or what frequency you
have to appear on for a schedule  ect, then accessibility in the way of at
least frequency read out is vital.
If you like to search out dx or make random contacts on the air on the
different HF bands then knowing what frequency you are on, what mode and
what the other stations signal is, is pretty important.
This said though, i agree that when using VFH/UHF rigs that can be
pre-programmed for the local repeaters and simplex freqs, accessibility
isn't as much of an issue.
Also most VFH or UHF handhelds have a direct entry keypad and most of the
settings are made once and then left alone...power settings and scan/squelch
and so on are generally controled via front key pad buttons anyway, so the
accessibility is already there.
73
Colin, V A6BKX