From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:41:26 -0500
Hi Darren, The Yaesu rigs, 817, 817ND, 897, and I believe 847, 857 and 867
can be direct entry frequency and mode controled and monitored using the
John Hansen/w2FS Milenium Q S Y er.  It is a  little external keypad which
I've successfully used with both the Icom IC706mkII, and the Yaesu FT817 and
817ND./I can send you some info re it directly if you'd like, just email me
off list at [log in to unmask] .  The QSYer can also be used with many other
newer Icom rigs.  But likely for especially someone starting out, the
Kenwood and Icom rigs are a better choice.  You might also get hooked up
with the Handihams organization in Minniappolis, MN, they have some very
helpful folks and may very well have a loaner rig for you to get acquainted
with.  At any rate, as Keith said, Welcome to the list, and to this great
radio service/hobby.  Sincerely, Danny Dyer, Wb4idu.