From:
Kristine Hickerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 08:59:07 -0600
Hi all,

Well, I was always a radio nut staying up at  night to listen to as many
stations as I could hear.  I used to love to listen to Moonglow with Martin
on WWL in New Orleans back in the fifties.

Well, when I was about ten or so in one of our books in school we read
something about amateur radio and how they could talk all over the world.
So I thought that sounded really interesting and I announced to Mom and Dad
that I wanted an amateur radio for Christmas.  I had  no idea, of course,
that you  needed to study and obtain a license.  Needless to say  I didn't
get it.

However, I got ahold of a radio that had shortwave bands on it and was
absolutely enthralled with itl.  To make a long story  short, I never lost
interest and continued to listen to as many stations as I could over the
years.

I always had it in the back of my mind that I wanted to learn more about the
hobby but  I didn't know any hams.  About twenty  years later, I walked into
an electronics store to purchase a copy of White's Radio Log and the  clerk
said "I'm out right now.  They have those  ham radio classes over here and
they come in and buy up a lot of my radio  books."  I said "Who has ham
classes, where and can you giveme a contact?"  He did and I called as soon
as I  got home.  He  said I  had missed several sessions but he thought I
could catch  up so the next Tuesday evening he picked me up and I started my
ham classes.  This was in April and I got my novice in July.  I am so glad I
walked into that store!
I have been a ham for thirty-one years now.  Fantastic hobby!

73
Kris