From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:19:59 -0400
(I tried to post this with the ones that went before it on the list, but
rejected for too many lines.)
Hi John, That's not being nosey, that's a good and appropriate question.
Actually, I've not been through five of them, five of them have been through
here.
Over the past several years, I've been working on figuring out what
equipment I want, and then putting together a system with which I'll most
likely stay, at least for a while.  Not having had firsthand experience with
some of this equipment, living 80 miles or so from a ham shop, and only
having limited funds/sell one thing to buy another, hi hi, a lot of my
"checking stuff out, has been done by buy/sell/swapping stuff around, for
the sake of experience.  I'm interested in both HF and six meter QRP, along
with having something for 2meters and something with about a hundred watts
or so on HF.
     I'm on my second TS440sat+VS1, which is a great, simple, and blind
friendly radio, I've had and used Icom 718,/a fine unit,  Ic70,/its'
overseas version which won't take a ut102 voice chip...found out the hard
way, and 706mkii,/(I may eventually come back to either a 706mkii or mkiig
for a base radio.  I've also had both a Kenwood ts570DG and SG,
as well as 2Yaesu ft817s/one of them 2 different times, and 1 817ND.  and
now have a Yaesu FT70G, a _very blind friendly and simple rig for hf
pedestrien portable QRPing.

I've had several, probably five of the htx202 HTs, and have come back to
that dependable old brick,/now used also as a base with an RS amp and
supply,/as it's one of the most dependable, stirdy, and efficient, though
not quite as blind friendly as some other monoband HTs I've ever
experienced.  I've thorroughly enjoyed the old Tempo S1, the Icom ic2at, and
the Kenwood tr2500, just wish those guys had usable ctcss transmit tones.
The little Alinco djs40 mini 2meter ht, with its "swing up telescoping
antenna, if it only had a real keyboard, is a real winner,-receiver wise,
battery economy wise, and punchy transmitter audio wise, as is the Yaesu
vx1.  The little Yaesu vx150's a real winner, except for the costliness of
acs,/still not as expensive as the t90's acs, and that _awful SMA
connecter--imho. But what do I know?  I know I don't like sma connectors, hi
hi.
     Anyway, I've had and used five of the lil t90as, and what usually
happened is that I bought or swapped for several of the acs, and then needed
to fund another, usually ham radio, project, and sold or swapped the whole
package to fund it.  I've done the same kind of thing with the little Yaesu
VR500, of which I've also owned five; That little guy/Gal, imho is the best
of the lil wideband receivers,/for a number of reasons, size, battery life,
and all mode operation being among the most important:
I've usually come back to both a vr500 and or a t90, as both being hard to
beat in terms of what they do and how they do it.
     Now then, after hearing more than you ever wanted to know about my
equipment macinations, I'll take leave of you, as always thanking all of you
on this list for your helpful and useful input.
Sincerely, Danny Dyer, Wb4idu.