From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 01:59:59 -0500
David Gillett's post (clipped):--

<<<< Best possible results will be obtained if the motherboard/controller and
drives use the same revision of the interface (and, in the case of
Ultra/UDMA, the new cable), >>>>

My mobo is ASUS P4GE-MX and the manual says [storage= 2xUltraDMA  100/66]

after I bought the mobo about a year ago I simply connected my old reformatted maxtor HDD with an old 40 pin ribbon cable (I did not get any cable with the mobo)and installed the controller and drivers from the cd which came with the mobo and the o/s (Win 98 SE). In device manager, the controller shows as (Intel(R)82801 DB ultra ATA storage controller-24 CB). The system is working ok since then. So I presume your comment from the same post " But if the
drive has a 40-pin connector, you should be able to use it just fine" applies here.

Nevertheless I will greatly appreciate any input as to whether there is a separate UDMA cable available and whether there will be any advantage if I go in for one if it is.

thanks and good day----Venkat Viswanathan

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml