From:
Eliot Martin Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:33:50 -0700
jeules wrote:

> There is much discussion about flax oil being a less than ideal source of
> omega-3 fatty acids because they are very sustecible to rancidity when
> exposed to heat, air, and light for very short periods of time.  Why does
> this discussion not carry over to the high heat exposure of other omega-3
> sources such as in the roasting of grass fed meat or wild game, frying of
> omega-3 eggs, baking of fish, and the drying of walnuts?  If it's so
> bad to
> heat flax, why wouldn't it be the same for any other omega-3 containing
> food?

I'm sure someone can answer this in a clearer way.  Flax oil is an
artificial food.  There is no way paleo man or woman could extract the
oil from flax seeds, nor would there be any reason to.  Perhaps because
it is thus, the oil is very susceptible to rancidity.  This is not the
case with rendered fat, nor coconut oil and to a lesser extent olive
oil.  Interesting, these sources of concentrated fat were easily
obtainable with basic paleo knowhow.  Omega-3's are not destroyed in
food when using proper cooking/roasting methods. Why this is so I cannot
say.