C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anthony Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2006 16:41:27 -0600
I experienced the similar thing as a child, I wasn't asked to attend
birthday parties or sleepovers, but we must understand that nobody had
wheelchair accessible houses to accommodate me.  Most of my friends and
their parents were very acceptable of me, and I think some felt bad that
their houses weren't very accessible to me, but that's just a fact of life
even tho it stinks.  But if we were outside, and a parent decided to hand
out treats, I was always included and sometimes they would assist in feeding
me.

That is one thing about inclusion, sure it was designed to mandate the
inclusion of children with special needs in school, but it's also benefiting
the regular ed kids who are going to be our doctors, teachers and employers
tomorrow, and are going to remember that little Anthony Arnold was in their
4th grade class and they had a positive experience, so odds are they might
be more interested in hiring that gal with cerebral palsy at their business.

Thanks,
Anthony
Visit my website at www.anthonyarnold.net