C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Magenta Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 16:56:35 -0700
Hi Susie,
It all depends. I live in an area where the disability rights movement
began. Those of us who involve ourselves in pushing for greater
accessibility, identify with each other and see our disabilities as just
another aspect of ourselves. In my early years in college, I never
identified with my disability, but I came to accept it and fully love
myself as I am. I just got home from a conference for people with
developmental disabilities. It was empowering and many speakers were
inspiring. We and our advocates keep pushing the envelope on what is
possible.  For instance quite a few folks with Down syndrome are getting
their AA degrees and pursuing the world of employment. This was unheard of
in the 70's or earlier. Disability can be a challenge, but it doesn't mean
we can't dream or aspire to do what we want to do.

If you need a business card designed, please email me.

Helpers.