From:
Don Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:29:23 -0700
Hi Phil,

If you can stand just one more reply regarding dsl,  I have sbcglobal here which is a part of the at&t conglomerate.

Dsl works quite well here and has definitely improved over the past year or so.  It seems to be faster than it once was, so I really think major dsl systems are
trying to respond to the cable competition.

I have a filter on each phone in the house and we get no interference from dsl at all.  I screwed it up at first and had the phones connected to the wrong
side of the line, but that was cockpit trouble and not  dsl.

Once I figured out what I did and corrected it, things have been fine here.

Only one area you might watch though.  If you have an  alarm system in your house which is connected to the phone line to allert police, fire, etc., to a
problem, the dsl can cause problems with that.

If it happens, you need to contact the alarm company for a suggested filter you can buy to get things straightened out again.

We haven't had that problem here, but some people have and it is just one more thing to check out once dsl is installed.

I honestly can't compare it with cable as I've never had cable here, but I was over helping a friend who was having a small problem with the cable modem
(she forgot to turn it on!).  Anyway the response to web pages seemed much faster than my dsl and I was envious.  But, it could well have had to do with her
computer too.

But, dsl works for me and streaming audio is really quite good and sounds great, so no drop out or anything like that.

Also, remember that if you're downloading, the speed is also dependent on what the sending computer can do.   So you're limited by that even if you have a
very fast connection.

Just my 8 cents worth.  (prices are going up you know!)  <grin>

Don W6SMB