From:
Terry Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 06:48:33 -0000
Hi Howard,

I had terrible trouble with these things. They start off working very well,
then it rains and they stop!

I had several and sealed them as well as I could with the gunge they
supplied, but they still soon packed up after a bit of rain.

If you speak to the makers, they're adamant that it doesn't matter if a bit
of water gets into either the balun or matching unit as they're both
supposed to be internally sealed. I assure you, however, water makes a mess
of it, as you'd expect.

I know I'm not the only one to suffer from this, but when it's mentioned,
everything goes into denial mode.

I've acquired a couple of their stand-alone baluns which seem to have the
same construction features - unsealed holes through which leads pass. When
we installed one of these, we soaked the thing in silicon rubber. That seems
to have stopped water getting in there and it's performed flawlessly for
over a year. Yes, we do get rain in Scotland.

So, my suggestion is: Take it down, dry out the matching unit and balun,
seal the matching unit and balun well with silicon rubber then reinstall it.

I welcome the thoughts of others.

73,

Terry, GM3WUX

DESCRIBE ONLINE - MAKING IT EASIER THROUGH TEXT

Terry Robinson B.Sc
82 Albert Rd.
Crosshill
Glasgow
G42 8DR
Tel: 0141 423 2683 - Mobile: 07771 610002
Web: www.describe-online.com