From:
Harvey Heagy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harvey Heagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2005 14:39:06 -0400
I evacuated from New Orleans on Sunday August 28th and was one of the last
persons to fly out before they shut down the airport.  I went to Baltimore
connecting through Orlando.  I had to take stand by status on the first leg,
but was on full reservation on the second one.  Anyway, I am all right.

I am told the New Orleans airport is opening again on a limited basis this
Tuesday, but only concourses A. and B. will be used.  I think it is a bit
early to do that since there is still no power in many areas, no running
water service to speak of, many areas are still under contaminated water and
there is lots of debris still around.

WWL Radio was streaming live as Entercom Communications combined with Clear
Channel Communications to provide emergency information, but either the site
is overloaded, or the stream has been taken down.  The website is:

www.wwl.com

For those of you who may know these people, Jim Taylor, (KB5FNW) did finally
get out.  At last check, he was at Kelly Air Force Base in San Antonio, but
he wasn't able to leave until either late Saturday September 3 or early
Sunday the 4th.

Donna and Lola Siren, (WB5WPM) and (WB5WPL) respectively, are staying with
Vernon and hazel Daigle in Gonzales Louisiana which is right outside of
Baton Rouge.  They were not without their effects as the Daigles were
without power for a while as well.

Jefferson Parish did allow people back in on a limited bases between Labor
Day morning and last Thursday evening at 6 P.M. but only to assess damage
and retrieve essentials.  They recommended that people leave after doing so
and no one knows for sure when we will be allowed back in.  Those who stayed
did so at their own risk.  I have no idea what shape my apartment is in.  I
did briefly speak with a neighbor across the street, and she indicated that
the water was down and damage was minimal, but I have not been able to get
hold of anyone from the office yet, so I do not know for sure.

Oh, by the way, just to correct a rumor I understand has circulated on this
list, Patsy Harlan is not my sister.  73.
Harvey Heagy (N.5.H.A.U.)