From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:22:21 -0600
just curious, what are you using to check the ssb peaks?
The microphone? a tone input to the mike or to the mike jack? the actual
microphone element may have something to do with the lower peak...if you
were testing with a whistle then was the mike gain all the way up? was
compression on? there are a few different factors.
were you testing with your voice? again, were the gains turned up?
half power out on SSB is a little mysterious...causes some thought of
concern for that particular rig...but again, it may well have been in the
method you were testing things.
To properly test output on ssb you should use a 1000 hertz tone directly
into the microphone input of the radio....although, preferably into the
balanced modulator instead, but those arent readily accessible usually.
You were getting a perfect peak reading on AM...did you check FM as well?
I strongly suspect that, since AM was getting full rated output, and the
digital mode was getting close to full output, that the method used to check
the ssb side wasn't in your favor.
73
Colin, V A6BKX