From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 May 2005 15:28:21 -0600
perhaps they did not incorporate the mike conducters into the main cable
from the head to the radio because they were concerned about RFI problems
getting into the audio conducters.  If RFI did get into the cable, it would
be much harder to isolate the audio wires and filter them when they are a
part of a whole cable.
With a separate mike cable you can easily isolate and solve any audio
related RFI problems.
I imagine the main cable running from the head to the radio is less
susseptible to RFI because it is carying packets as opposed to analogue
signals which are more likely to pick up stray RFI in the area.
They could always solve this issue of course by incorporating a digital
audio system into the head unit and sending the compressed or digitized
audio to the radio that way....but i think probably most users wouldn't like
the end result of that sort of audio.
73
Colin, V A6BKX