From:
Tamara Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tamara Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:58:14 -0700

Thank you all for your quick and helpful responses.  I've forwarded your comments on to my sister.  Hopefully, reading about the experiences of others will prompt her to discuss with her physician the possibility of her having CD.

Just to summarize, most people who responded stated that there is a known connection between gallbladder disease and CD.  In most cases, they either discovered the connection by accident or they were informed of the connection by their CD-aware physician.  Of course, it was pointed out by many - and rightly so - that gallbladder disease is not limited to Celiacs, and not all Celiacs develop gallbladder disease.

Someone also mentioned a connection between CD and appendicitis.

A few links to documentation on the subject were provided:

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=121&p_catid=91&sid=91hH9H1FQ4-g51M-20105609733.f2  (Several people pointed me to this article!)

http://www.celiaccenter.org/facts.asp

Everyone seemed to agree that since I have CD, and it is a genetic disorder, and the gallbladder can be affected by CD, and she's having problems with her gallbladder, my sister really ought to get tested for CD.  Thank you, again, for your responses and support!

~Tamara