From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:20:16 -0400
I'm not sure if I am reading this correctly...

First you say you backed it up and then you say you copied it.
(A backup would be restored, and/or an Image would be restored...)

I "think" you backed it up (or Imaged it?) while it was in use as a
data drive, so when you restored (or copied it??) it came back
as a data drive with the same letter it had...
I don't think I would have done it that way, or from with-in ANY
version of Windows... (Personal preference: I use both Acronis
and Ghost, both from outside Windows ONLY...)

As a guess, only if you can afford to loose the "E" drive in question.
(It is a copy, correct?, with no other "extra" data??)
In a situation like this, I would first get the drive installed BY ITSELF
in the system... (Fix the jumpers etc...)
This is a precaution against "whacking" the wrong drive, as the drive letters
sometimes switch around in some of the lower level type utility programs...
(If there is "only" one drive installed, it is a pretty good bet you can not
select the wrong one... <grin>...)

I would boot to the recovery console and "do" a fixmbr and/or
a fixboot command.  If third party partitioning software has been used
on "any" of the drives in question you "might" get some pretty scary warning
messages... (Do not proceed unless you can afford to loose access to the
drive and all the data on it...)

                                            Rick Glazier

From: "Peter Shkabara"
> I wanted to change the boot drive on my system. I
> backed up the C: drive and restored it onto another drive. This was done
> while booted from a "spare" installation of XP so that the Windows directory
> could be copied completely. I then removed the original C: drive and tired
> to boot. However, while it did try to boot, the disk was still assigned the
> letter E: as it was originally. I can, of course, do a fresh install of XP,
> or could go through a roundabout procedure where I install clean copy
> temporarily on another drive; boot from that; change the drive designations;
> then boot the original XP installation. Hence my desire to find if I can
> simply patch a byte on the disk using a sector editor (which I have).

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>