From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 01:10:49 -0500
Mark's post (clipped):---

<<<< My power supply failed the other day. I figured it was no big deal, just
swap out the old one. After I put the new one in I tried to boot windows and the
computer kept restarting when it got to the XP loading screen>>>>

 <<< So I decided to format the drive and the drive formatted fine and when XP tries to restart to finish the installation it just keeps restarting over and over.Anyone know whats going on?>>>

 There was a long thread on a not very dissimilar subject (pl. refer to pc-build archives for AUG /05 with header [ Replacing Win XP Home on new computer with Win XP Pro] )

could it be that WIN XP (Microsoft) is reading your new power supply as " A new hardware addition "?

Very sorry if I am sounding flippant and, MS basher, but I assure you I am not because " when XP tries to restart to finish the installation " this is the stage where the operating system checks the hardware configuration and one is notified to this effect during "setup".

FWIW and hoping some solutions to your problems from other list members.

good luck---Venkat

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>