From:
James Maki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:16:26 -0700
Daniel,

The "best" new motherboards usually come with PCI-express, so if you are
looking for long life, you will probably want to go with the PCI-express.
AGP is at "end of life." It has pretty much maxed out it available band
width. AGP 8X has a max speed of 2,100 MB/s while PCI Express 16x has a max
of 4000 MB/s [8000 MB/s as PCI-Express can transmit in both directions].

Some inexpensive PCI-Express cards utilize shared memory and, IMO, should be
avoided.

I have had good luck with Gigabyte motherboards and they come in many
different flavors supporting AMD and Intel cpus. I favor the nVidia chipsets
and AMD processors. My personal bias and others will differ. I have build
several inexpensive computers with ASROCK (a inexpensive line related to
ASUS) motherboards with VIA chipsets. One has been running 24/7 for almost a
year as a HTPC (home theatre personal computer) without a problem.

Make sure and match your components. Don't purchase the most expensive video
card and match it with a low end, underpowered cpu/motherboard. I don't do
any gaming and find video cards in the $100-$200 range acceptable. You don't
need SLI (a system for using a matched pair of video cards in a single
system for faster gaming), so don't purchase a motherboard that supports
SLI. This will also save you a few bucks.

Have fun planning and building your new system. And, good luck. Let us know
if you need additional advice and how things work out.

Jim Maki

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com