From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 12:03:11 -0500
Adrienne Smith wrote:

>>Thoughts on Rosedale:
>>

>He limits protein to approx. 40-60 grams per protein based upon one's
>size.

Yes, and he says no more than 15-20g of protein per meal.  Since he
advocates lean protein, supplemented by MUFA sources, this means no more
than about three ounces of lean protein per serving, since lean protein
sources yield 6-7g per ounce.  This protein ceiling is even lower than
that of Protein Power and the Zone, which allow a maximum of 45-40g per
serving.  This is pretty difficult.  Based on things I've read by him in
the past, I have a lot of respect for Rosedale, but I wish his
recommendations were documented.

>  He restricts saturated fat for the first 3 weeks until one is
>a "good fat burner."  He doesn't provide any references to back up the
>claim that "it doesn't make sense to eat saturated fat while one is trying
>to burn it."

In fact, he claims that saturated fat is "harder to burn."  He also
claims that saturated fat exacerbates insulin resistance.  Now this is
something I have looked into, and I admit that there is some evidence to
support it.  And anecdotally, at least some of us who consume liberal
amounts of saturated fat do seem to show signs of increased insulin
resistance.   I *think* his idea is that since the body fat we want to
lose (those who wish to lose weight) is almost all saturated fat, that
it's a bad idea to load the system with even more saturated fat in
food.  While this sounds reasonable, documentation would be a help.
There are so many ideas that sound reasonable that turn out to be wrong.

He claims that people on popular low-carb diets do not achieve good
leptin control.  This is a very interesting claim, and I would like to
know a lot more about it.

Todd Moody