BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that Ruth calls "Pluto's spider-hole."
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2006 09:32:34 -0200
c-

It could be they were installing a fence.
It could be they needed to know what the floor was composed of so that
they could tell if it would hold a load.
It could be they needed to drop a plumb line through 3 floors in order
to orient for layout (did that recently).
It could be a masters preservation student inventing a new way to repair
old floors. Drill hole then insert brain.
It could be delamination of sidewalk, such as at the Regency, or a need
to determine if a waterproof membrane is present.
It could be to determine that there actually is 4" of floor and not 2.36".
We did this boring work a lot at Grand Central Terminal and mainly it
was either for determination of location (hard to tell in a vertical
context where you are in that place) or for composition of the floor.
At the former WTC we did it at the B3 garage level into the walls so
that the materials scientists could figure out fire rating. Obviously
boring cores is not a surefire way to save lives.
We may be doing it in future on a smaller scale on Dalle de Verre
stained glass windows in order to determine possible thermal fatigue in
the epoxy matrix.
I'll make sure to leave samples in a bucket on the sidewalk outside of
your residence in DFI.

][<