EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Richard Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:40:35 -0700
The answer depends on the intent of the PDF file, the complexity of the equations and the braille skills of the user/student.  If the PDF file is for the instruction of a blind student in a math skill then the PDF file would not be a legal or appropriate presentation of the material under Section 504.  If the PDF file is for the instruction of a blind student, who knows Nemeth Code Braille, in some math skill then the PDF file would not be legal.
If the PDF file is discussing another topic and just mentions a math process, then an alt tag would probably be appropriate.

Richard Jones
Assistant Director
Disability Resources for Students
Arizona State University, Main
480-965-6045

"Our first belief is that "disability" is a rational concept.  It does
not reside within the individual.  Our second belief is that electronic
technology can alter environments in such a manner as to allow people
who have various functional deficits to operate without any disability
what so ever."  Richard Reed, CCD Newsletter, Fall 1988, v (2), EDUCOM
Software Initiative, 1989.