From:
Walt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:15:27 -0500
And here's a tip for those of you using JAWS and who want this feature
turned on, but don't want to actually hear the list name every time you read
through your messages:

1. Press CTRL+D to open the Dictionary Manager. If you do this while you're
in your e-mail program (Eudora, Outlook, Outlook Express), the dictionary
that's used when that program is running will be opened. If you prefer to
place this definition into the default dictionary (used at all times,
regardless of the running program), press CTRL+SHIFT+D when the Dictionary
Manager opens.
2. Press ENTER on the Add button.
3. Place "[blind-hams]" (without the quotes) into the Actual Word field.
4. Place a single space into the Replacement Word field by pressing the
SPACEBAR once.
5. Press TAB to navigate to the OK button and press ENTER.
6. Press ALT+F4 to save the definition and exit the Dictionary Manager.

This same technique can be used to silence the list name for any list you
happen to subscribe to. Just place the list name and the square brackets
into the Actual Word field and define it as a single blank. I've used this
technique for years and it works flawlessly. This definition won't affect
anything except the list name whenever it's placed inside square
brackets--that is, if someone is talking about the list and uses a phrase
such as, "How do I subscribe to the Blind-Hams list," you'll still hear the
list name, since it wasn't inside brackets in this case.