From:
"John J. Jacques" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:50:12 -0700
Hi all, this is a neat thread!

I got started listening to the locals back in Detroit, in the mid
sixty's, on 160 meters, A M!  I had gotten a transistor radio that
covered 2 to 4 MHz, wich at that time was the marrine band and it went
down to 1806 KHz, whare the A M activity was.  Then, I made the momentis
discovery, for a 12 year old, that I could detune any broadcast radio to
go that high!  GRIN!  It's a good thing my parents didn't listen to
anything below 760 KHz!  GRIN!

I should have been a 13 or 14 year old novice, but something happened and
the elmer who was supposed to give a bunch of us kids at the School for
the blind our tests, got sick or something, and it never happened.  In
the mean time, I discovered 11 meters, wich was a poor substitute, until
finally, in 1971, my cousin by marage finally said, "Are you going to get
your license or what?"  So, in 1971, I finally got my Tech ticket and
became WB8LDU.  I stayed that way for 10 years, until I finally passed
the 13 WPM code test and upgraded to General.  I upgraded to advanced in
'83, and became KD8PC until I moved out here to Arizona in 1990, whare I
picked up the KG7FA call!  I still haven't been able to get the ambission
to get the extra, but at this point, I don't operate enough HF to make it
worth it!  GRIN!

73 and 88 whare appropriate:
J. J.
John Jacques