From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:57:15 -0600
hmmm...speaking of the IC 02at...i did a stupid thing the other day.
The battery that came with the radio is totally dead...so i ordered a new
battery pack for it, and whilst waiting for that to arrive, i decided to
hook the radio up to my power supply via the single terminal on the bottom
of the radio without the battery on and a grounding screw.
Anyway, i figured out the polarity by using a  wall wart, and hooked it up
to the 13.8 supply....radio worked great until i disconnected the wires to
put them on more permanently.
When i did that i temporarily forgot the polarity and hooked the wires up
backwards...this to a 20 amp 13.8V power supply.
There was a snap and the radio didn't work anymore...no smoke, no frying, no
terrible odors like there used to be with old 40 channel CB's that i
occasionally hooked up backwards...so, it bethinks me that there must be a
protection diode somewhere inside the 02at that blows when there is wrong
polarity and a high current supply....because nothing blew when i was
checking for polarity using the wall wart...which probably puts out 500 MA
and 8 volts.
Anyone done this? had experience with this? or know if there is a protection
diode or some sort of fusing system inside the radio? I cracked it open and
searched for a fuse but of course there wasn't one.....however, there is a
small connection board where the main hot power wire goes from the bottom
plate of the hand held through the radio and connects to the PC board up
near the top of the radio....the connection board is located immediately
under the bottom plate of the radio....right under neath where the main
isolated connecter for the battery protrudes from the bottom.
Anyway, i would guess there has to be some sort of protection circuit on
this little board...but im not sure what it might be or how to replace it.
I would sure like to get this radio back up and running since i was hoping
to use it for echo link purposes.
73
Colin, V A6BKX