From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jun 2005 21:24:40 -0700

A few additional comments about my stewed beef recipe.  I forgot to say that
I added a couple tablespoons of chopped onion.  I just had a little onion
leftover in my frig, so if you've already made this recipe w/o onions, I
doubt it will make much difference.  The proportions of fresh oregano &
rosemary was a "guesstimate."  The most important thing about these herbs is
that they be fresh, not dried.  The difference between fresh & dried for
these two herbs is significant.

Tapioca pearls are available at any grocery store in the pudding section.
Some are called "instant tapioca pearls."  I've used two different brands,
one "instant" and the other not; both turned out about the same in my slow
cooker.  So if there's a difference, it doesn't effect slow cooking.

The pearls dissolve after long slow cooking to form a slightly thickened,
very smooth gravy-sauce.  It's wonderful for this because it's never lumpy
or grainy and doesn't "whiten" the sauce like some other thickeners do.
Someone asked if tapioca flour could be substituted.  I don't believe so.  I
think it would lump up, but, of course I've never tried it.

Someone else asked what made me think of using tapioca pearls.  I got the
idea from a slow cooker cook book, "Fix It and Forget It."  I noticed every
stew recipe called for between 1/4 and 1/2 cup tapioca pearls.  Many of the
recipes are GF because wheat flour doesn't make an attractive sauce in a
slow cooker, it whitens & lumps.

Another person asked if I browned the beef first.  I don't.  It comes out
absolutely great without any up-front prep.

Valerie