From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:22:36 -0600
what sort of long distance contacts on 2M?
is that simplex or repeater contacts?
I have been playing around with different distant repeaters for the past
four days or so now that i have a programmable radio.
The farthest repeater i am able to fairly consistantly key in the later
evening is around 120 kilometers away.  Guess thats about 75/80 miles or
something....not quite sure...but that particular repeater isn't considered
long range....i can key a repeater 136 kilometers away on 10 watts...its a
long range repeater on a high hill.
As far as simplex, i have been copied using 50 watts in the neighborhood of
70 kilometers away by a mobile in motion....sort of rough country in that
direction so i would imagine in other directions i could go a little
further. think thats 45 miles.
One other repeater that i think is probably around 100 or 110 kilometers
away i can very easily key with 5 watts in the evening.

antenna is a tram 1480 dual bander at 22 feet...of course these are all on
VHF, i have not had the opportunity to try UHF yet.
Are these findings fairly normal? i am in a fairly geographically flat area
with repeaters tending to be set up on hill tops well above the main level
of the land.
I think the hill tops make a rather huge difference since there is a popular
repeater i use about 45 miles away that i can get into with just a low
static level on the carier using 5 watts...im pretty sure that is due to the
fact that it is on a hill with about a 100 mile foot print in all
directions.
Flat land is great for 2M.
73
Colin, V A6BKX