From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 10:47:56 -0400
Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> Anne Smith wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have an old much loved 286 computer that I wish to store for a while
>> (could be months, not sure).
>>
>> The battery on the mobo is a normal AA battery.
>>
>> Should I remove it in case it leaks and destroys the works - would it
>> render the CMOS useless and lose all the info on it?
>>
>> Or is it best to leave in place?
>>
>> Or should I just install a brand new battery before storing and hope for
>> the best?
>>
>> Any suggestions will be greatly received.
>>
>> Anne
>

> Anne:
> My advice is to make a written copy of all of the CMOS/BIOS settings and
> tape it to the side of the case. (The settings on AT-era computers were
> nowhere as complex as today's, so you won't need a big piece of paper.)
> I'd also remove the battery, and then store the computer in a large
> plastic bag. Tossing some dissicant in the bag might be a good idea, too.
>
> Regards,
> Carroll Grigsby

Anne:

I'm fairly certain that I goofed up the CMOS thing, my only excuse being
that it's been a long time since I was inside an AT case. I did some
digging around on the web and through some repair manuals, and here's
what I should have said:

In the original IBM PC, XT and AT computers, the BIOS settings were
controlled by small DIP switches on the circuit board. In more modern
computers, the information is stored in volatile memory -- CMOS. The
change not only made it much easier to add new hardware to a system --
all you have to do is hit the Delete key while the system is booting,
and you can change whatever settings you wish. No disassembly required,
either. The change also allowed the motherboard manufacturers to add far
more power to the system. The downside, of course, is that the CMOS
requires an uninterrupted source of electrical current (often a
coin-shaped battery) or it will lose its settings. But you don't have
that problem since your settings are stored in the DIP switches.

OK, so what's the AA cell for? To keep track of the time and date. Take
the battery out, and its suddenly 1980 again. The on-board clock was
added when IBM released the AT series; on their earlier models, it was
necessary to install a separate card to keep track of the time and date.

Short answer: Remove the battery. You'll have to reset the time and date
when you take your jewel out of storage, but there shouldn't be any
problems with corrosion. (My old AT was purchased second-hand. The
original owner had velcroed a small battery holder on the outside rear
of the case with its leads jumpered across the motherboard terminals.
This was a common repair used when the motherboard terminals were damaged.)

My apologies for the blunder.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby