From:
generalstuff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 16:39:16 -0400
It doesn't actually say "shortcut," because it isn't exactly a shortcut, in the strict sense of the term (to a fixed location).  It is a POINTER that points to whichever My Document folder belongs to the currently logged in user.

If you right click on the "one at the top of the tree" and select "Properties," then select the "Target" tab at the top, you will see, in the text box, the location of the TARGET of this pointer, which should be:

        C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents

A "shortcut" points to a fixed physical location.  If the target that it points to moves (changes to a different location), then it points to nothing - it is a "broken link".   Think of these "duplicate/mirror" items as VARIABLE pointers - their target changes depending on which user is logged into XP.

This is so each user doesn't have to find his particular My Documents folder by navigating to C:\Documents and Settings\<<MyUserName>>\My Documents.

If simple shortcuts were used, there would have to be a separate shortcut at the top of the list for every user, since the physical locations of their My Documents folders are different.

By using a variable target pointer, every logged in user can do exactly the same thing, click on the My Documents item at the top of the list, and get HER VERY OWN My Documents folder.  She doesn't have to know where it is.

AnnaSummers